Book your visit now
Call: +44 (0)1326 252 100
or book online:
Painting Break in Cornwall
At this painting holiday in Cornwall you can learn and develop your skills with acclaimed local artist Janet Judge who will encourage and guide you on how to work with loose and colourful watercolours.
Whatever your level of experience, paint over 3 days in the beautiful, relaxed surroundings of the hotel and it's gardens leading to the waters edge. One day is left free you to relax, visit a local garden, take a coastal walk or maybe book a spa treatment. The course will focus on landscape and still life painting with the ability to paint outside if the weather is good.
Sunday 8th March to Thursday 12th March 2020
Standard room - £610 per person
Superior room - £675 per person
Signature room - £760 per person
We can take a maximum of 8 people on this break, and if we have significant over-subscription, we will look into holding a second one slightly earlier in February.
Call our Reservations Team on 01326 250288 to book.
Included in the price is:
- Accommodation per person for 5 nights
- Meet fellow guests and your tutor Janet Judge on the Sunday evening after you arrive
- Four-course dinner and coffee each evening
- Full English breakfast
- All equipment including brushes and paints can be provided at a cost of £20, let us know and we will arrange this with Janet
- Unlimited golf, swimming, sauna, outdoor hot tub, tennis and snooker
Watercolours - a good selection of colours will include a warm and cool version of each of the primary colours plus a couple of earth colours. See below for basic palette, if you have different but comparable colours you can always try a new colour on the course. If buying new paints get artists’ quality for clean bright colours and tubes rather than pans for rich juicy washes. Janet always uses Winsor and Newton paints (except for New Gamboge when she uses Daniel Smith brand as W&N have changed the composition of their colour). There are other brands but always stick to the same manufacturer as colours can vary significantly between makes. Ken Bromley, SAA and Jackson’s are good online art retailers. Alternatively, all materials and equipment can be supplied for £20.
- Aureolin Yellow - cool and transparent
- New Gamboge – warm and transparent yellow
- Permanent Rose – transparent pink, essential for flower painting
- Winsor Red – transparent Pillar box red
- Permanent Alizarin Crimson- strong and transparent, excellent mixer
- French Ultramarine – transparent, granulating warm blue
- Cobalt Blue- clear, transparent, expensive but unique colour
- Winsor Blue green shade – cool and transparent (Antwerp or Prussian Blue are similar)
- Raw and Burnt Sienna- warm and transparent earth colours or Raw and Burnt Umber- cool and transparent earth colours
Paper - Watercolour paper 140lb or heavier
Janet will bring 250gsm/335gsm (heavy) Bockingford paper which you can buy for £1.25 a half sheet
Sketch book- a cartridge sketchbook for sketching, planning pictures and making notes, size c.8”x10” minimum. Janet will bring loose cartridge paper c.10p a sheet
Brushes- a selection of watercolour brushes including larger sizes (Janet will bring spares)
Palette- it can be a tin plate or white plastic tray type with several mixing wells and small squares around the edge for your colours, arrange them in a spectrum
Drawing - Pencil and drawing pen if you like to use one. Janet always brings water-soluble crayons, pastels, charcoal and pencils for you to try bring your own if you prefer
Masking tape - to tape watercolour paper to board
Water pots - x 2 - one to clean your brush and one for clean water for painting
Kitchen Roll - white, not patterned, for controlling the amount of water on your brush and for lifting colour off your painting
Drawing board – boards provided, or bring your own if you prefer
Photographs and sketches – Janet will bring photographs of the local coast and landscape but you are also welcome to bring your own.
Bag and sketching stool – to carry your equipment if you fancy painting in the garden or out on the terrace
Easel -if you like to use one, these are not supplied. Janet tends to work with her board on the table with something to prop it at a slight angle
Offer is subject to availability and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount.