Statement from Martin Barlow, Owner and Managing Director of Budock Vean Hotel

In considering my response to yesterday’s government announcement, what is upper most in my mind is the welfare of everyone who frequents the Budock Vean Hotel.

In line with government advice about avoiding non-essential travel, and the increased risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus, it is with great sadness that I must announce that Budock Vean Hotel will temporarily close, along with our self-catering accommodation and the Natural Health Spa.

The closure will initially be from today, Saturday 21st March 2020 until Thursday 30th April 2020 inclusive. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and take advice from the appropriate authorities, and we will only reopen when it is clear that it is safe to do so. If this means that we have to extend the closure beyond 30th April, we will ensure we update you in plenty of time. Please follow our social media channels to keep up to date with our latest news (links at the foot of this page).

What this means is that we will now have to cancel all bookings for anyone who was planning to visit us during this closure period.

Our team at Budock Vean are, as we speak, calling all the bookings we still have for this closure period to help you complete the cancellation. This is being addressed in chronological order starting with arrivals due tomorrow Sunday 22nd and they will work through all the bookings day by day up until April 30th. I would kindly ask for your patience as the Reception team work through this process.

Rebook for a future date: We very much look forward to the day when all of this is over and we can welcome you back to Budock Vean. With this in mind, we are looking upon this as a postponement, not a cancellation. We very much hope you will want to postpone your holiday and rearrange it for a later date. You can therefore move your booking to any available date up until 30th April 2021 and we will retain your deposit to be used against this amended booking. If you elect to move your booking to a date with a different seasonal rate, we will need to charge you the new rate, which may be higher or lower, depending on which season you choose.

If, whilst you are waiting for our call, you would like to inform us of what you would like to do, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at

I appreciate that this will be disappointing news for all those who enjoy staying with us and for those who frequent Budock Vean as day visitors. I would like to thank you for your patience, understanding and support in these exceptional circumstances. I, along with my team, look forward to welcoming you back to Budock Vean once this has all passed.

In the meantime, I can assure you that on your behalf we will continue to look after this very special place that we all love and during our temporary closure we will be sharing sights, sounds and memories of life at BV and the Helford River. We want to let you know how we are getting on and we would be delighted to hear from you too. Please, let’s keep in touch.

In the meantime, we have initiated discussions with local health care organisations and local charities to see whether Budock Vean can provide any assistance and support to those in our local community who need it most. We have a valuable asset that we might be able to put to productive use during the next few weeks.

Please stay safe everyone and we are looking forward very much to the day, when we can throw open our doors to you all and welcome you back into the warmth and comfort of Budock Vean. And when we do, we can assure you that it will be a time to remember!

Martin Barlow and the team at Budock Vean

Bottom Background